Sasha(was Layka) rescued 7/31/2013

Sasha needs surgery -
as of 5/25/2014 estimated total for Sasha's surgeries will total over $10000.00
Please help if you can
by clicking on the Donation button

11/2/2014 photo updates

9/29/2014 update

From Foster Mom:

Hello Everyone!
Let me start by saying that Sasha is doing great!  She had another hip replacement in the spring, her second, and the veterinarians at Texas A&M put in a larger implant.  So far, this one has remained in place.  She dislocated the first  one at week 13, I think.  It was put back into place, and we started over with her rehab.  She dislocated it again at week 14 or so.
You can see why I was reluctant to be too optimistic.  However, Tuesday will put us at Week 19 with no dislocation, so I am much more hopeful than I was.  She can lie down on the floor and get up on her own.  She walks around the yard with no trouble.  She is happy and relaxed and spends a lot more time out of her crate now.
Her appointment at Texas A&M is October 15th.  I anticipate that she will get a clean bill of health at that point.  
Regarding her personality, I think that she is one of the sweetest dogs that I have fostered.  Right now, I have a whopping ten dogs here.  Tom and I are temporarily caring for three dogs that belong to the person who watched my kids for two weeks.  I figured that we can watch three dogs for four weeks in return for two weeks of kid watching.  Anyway, Sasha gets along very well with everyone, including the two visiting shepherds who have rather strong personalities.
She loves people.  She really loves people.  However, the decibel level of her baying, booming bark when a stranger enters the house cannot be overstated. After she has alerted us that the aquarium cleaner has entered the house for the fifth time that day, she then offers to help the woman carry out the television or the jewelry or whatever else is worth stealing.  Casey, our aquarium person, loves her and pets her as she walks by.  It’s really funny.  Sasha is literally all bark and no bite, thank goodness.
I would like to have her in a home by Thanksgiving if possible.  Can anyone open their heart and home to a sweet girl who has spent her whole life overcoming challenges?


Good morning from our foster Sasha! This update is long overdue, however, Sasha's healing from her two hip surgeries has been so "up and down" that it has been hard to say how she is doing.  But, the first thing is that she continues to live with foster mom Kim and her numerous human and canine and feline family members.               

After her first hip replacement failed, you will remember that that the Univ hospital performed a second surgery and implanted a hip that had less clearance between the femur head and the socket. Everyone is optimistic that this second hip will be secure.

Sasha is well. She is exceedingly amiable!  What we call "an easy keeper."  Oh, and she is leading the pack in most fur shed. We will post a current photo of her when her foster mom returns from an exotic trip. How many other Leo fosters have a foster mom who goes to New Caledonia? (which is where? lol)



On Monday, Sasha went back to College Station.  I left her there all day while I did my defense and had class that night.  The vet waited for me to get there to pick her up, and he and I had a long talk.  Her footpads were coming off in the Ehmer Sling, so they removed it.  Her foot is wrapped in sterile bandages, and they want to see her every two days, which means I have to bring her back today.  After today, I can find a vet closer in to do this, but the vet has to be prepared to deal with utter sterility.  If she gets an infection that travels to her hip, she will lose the implant.

I have to put an IV bag over her foot to walk her, and I am supposed to keep the sling around her back end at all times.  However, she won’t pee or poop with it in place, so I remove it when we get to the grass.  I also found one of Cici’s rubber bracelets that snaps around her leg and the IV bag to keep the bag on.  She looks very snazzy with it.

She will be in the crate for 8 more weeks.

The poor dog.  I think that we have inflicted more pain on her, and I don’t know that we have helped.  Plus, we have spent a lot of money.

Thank goodness she is a wonderful dog.  She and Murphy get along well.  He likes to walk with her in the yard, and she will lie down and let him harass her.   She is also good with the routine.  She lets me put the IV bag on her foot, and she waits until the sling is in place.  In general, she is very cooperative and sweet.

We go back to College Station today.  I’ll let you know how it goes

2/21/2014- picture updates
Sasha in her sling (hoping this holds the hip in place until she is fully healed)

2/5/2014 updates
I am sad to report that Sasha has experienced a setback.  Things were going very well until Sunday.  She tried to stand up, her foot slipped out from under her, and she luxated her hip.  The artificial ball came completely out of the artificial socket.   She is back at Texas A&M where the vets have managed to get everything back into place.  She is now in an Ehner Sling, which will keep her leg and hip immobilized for the next month.  I have also been told that her back end has been shaved bald because she is taped up, and the tape has to stick to skin.  I'm sure that she is awful to behold.
I will get her back in a couple of days.  I also asked that her thyroid be tested so that we can figure out why she is so fat.  It is likely that her weight contributed to this latest issue.
Please keep Sasha in your thoughts. 

(later update)
I spoke to the vet tech tonight. Sasha is doing very well. She is eating and potting well with a little support from a sling that the tech uses to support some of her weight.
She is getting out of the clinic on Friday.
A thyroid test shows one slightly low number, but the rest were fine. They do not recommend medication. They also recognize that it is hard to walk her when she is injured, so she is going to be fat a while longer.
I am going to get her rubber booties so that she can grip the floor better.

1/28/2014 update
Sasha went to see the vet at College Station yesterday for the last time.  X-rays were taken, and the bone is starting to grow around the implant.  Things are looking great! She can increase her exercise by 25 percent each week, and she can go outside without restrictions.

Thank you,  everyone, for your support.  Now let’s find her a home!

1/24/2014 update
Since tomorrow marks exactly 12 weeks since Sasha's surgery, and I have an incredibly sore throat, I decided to start her early with some yard time.  This morning, instead of walking her, I put her outside with two of my smaller dogs, The Wobblers.  She seemed to enjoy their company, and she wandered around before lying down on the back patio.

She did not want to come in for breakfast, however, so that was a battle.  She cannot be fed with the other dogs because she cannot have raw for the rest of her life.  Plus, she is on a diet.  Right now, she is in her crate.  I'll put her out this afternoon when I get home.  She occasionally fights with Ishy, so I don't want to put her outside with him by themselves.

So far, so good!  Her last vet appointment is Monday.  I'll have news that night.  Then she will be ready for her forever home, a home I hope takes her on long walks.  

1/15/2014 update

Sasha is doing great!  She has two weeks and two days to go in the crate. Her appointment with the vet for the final word is January 27th. 

We walk daily, and she does fine.  She enjoys sniffing at our cats, and our smallest dog, a Papillon/Chihuahua mix walks with us, so we look rather comical.  The neighbors sometimes  bring their kids out to watch us parade down the road, the lady with the huge dog and the tiny dog. 

She is still overweight despite being on a diet.  Weight loss will have to be the goal of her forever home.

I really want her to go to a loving family that has low expectations about her exercise level.  Daily walks are best for her.  She is great with kids, cats, puppies, and people.  She is not fond of men in hats, but I think that she just does not like the change from no hat to hat.

She is a mellow dog who loves affection.  As we walk, she nudges me with her head until I stop to rub her and give her hugs.  Then she gets her fill, and we walk some more.  She is a dream on a leash, and she is very smart.  When I open her crate door, she walks out and stops for me to put the leash on her.  Then out the door we go.  

When I first got her, she was in such bad shape that I would not have guessed how beautiful she would be.  Like one of my older dogs, she hates to have her picture taken, so the pictures of her do not do her justice.  She looks like a bear, and she is a very peaceful dog.

All in all, her recovery is going well, and I anticipate good news on the 27th.

12/16/2013 update

Sasha went to see the vet today for her six week check up.  They took x-rays of her hips from three different angles, and her replaced hip looks wonderful.  Everything is in place, and she is walking well.  The vet was very pleased.
She is sore now, though.  They must have splayed her out for the x-rays because she is not a happy camper now. I hope that she feels better tomorrow.  
People oohed and aahed over her at the clinic, and everyone wanted to know her story.
Anyway, it was a long day, but we got a lot of good news.  The vet said repeatedly that she was a very difficult case, very problematic, so he is happy that she is healing so well.

Thank you for all of the good wishes!

12/12/2013 update
Sasha is doing very well.  Tomorrow, she will be at the six week mark, which is halfway through her recovery.  She has adjusted easily to life in a crate.  She walks several times a day, but she always begins her walks the same way, but gluing herself to my thigh and pushing me until I stop to pet her for a few minutes.  Even though she probably needs to use the bathroom desperately, her desire for love and affection are greater.  Only after she has gotten her scratches and rubs will she turn her attention to pottying and exploring the yard.

She is walking well.  Next week, she goes to the vet for her mid-recovery check-up.  Hopefully, things will be good. I am confident that they are.  She seems to be recovering beautifully.

Thank you for all of your good thoughts!

11/23/2013 update
21 days post-surgery movie


11/12/2013 update

Today, Sasha got her staples out.  A month ago, I put in a bid for a home visit from a vet who does vaccinations, and I won the bid.  That is how I learned that an equine vet lives in my neighborhood.  I called him, and he came over tonight and took out Sasha's staples.  

She was very good throughout the process.  She only whimpered once when one staple was a bit hung up in her skin.  That was the only time she showed any anxiety.  

The vet did not charge me for the visit, which is wonderful.  He's a nice guy.  

I am relieved to get the donut off her head, finally.  She is happy about that as well.  

She is doing great.  She is walking well and seems to be adjusting nicely to life in a crate.  There have been no problems so far. Fingers crossed that this will continue.


11/5/2013 update

Sasha is home!! (her foster home anyway)


11/4/2013 AM Update (post surgery)
Video of Sasha walking after surgery

11/3/2013 PM Update (post surgery)
Rianne called to say that Sasha finally peed on her own.  My response was, "What? How was she peeing before?" Rianne responded that Sasha had not peed since the surgery on Friday.  Yikes!  She did squat and pee tonight, however.

That dog must have a huge bladder.  She went without peeing for more than 24 hours when she was transported from Florida to Chattanooga, TN.  She never peed on a leash until after I had her for several weeks.  It's madness.  I imagine that she was in too much pain to squat, but really, she can hold it forever when she is stressed.

Anyway, I am picking her up tomorrow afternoon between 3:30 and 4:00.  I have to make sure that I get back after Tom gets home from work so that he can help me get her out of the car.  She certainly can't leap out of the Expedition.  

I need to wash her crate blanket as well so that it is fresh and clean for her.

11/3/2013 AM Update (post surgery) from Foster mom
Rianne called at 6:30 this morning (7:30 according to daylight savings time), and she reported that again, our Sasha is doing amazingly well.  She will definitely go home tomorrow.

I can't wait to see her.  I have to wait until the afternoon to pick her up because I won't have anyone here to help me get her out of the car in the morning.  After I teach my 11-12:15 class, I'll drive over to College Station to pick her up.

11/2/2013 PM Update (post surgery) from Foster mom
I missed Rianne's call, but she left a message.  Sasha is doing amazingly well.  Her pain is under control, and she is getting up with the help of a person with a sling, but she is using her hip and leg very nicely, surprisingly well, according to Rianne.  I think that she put weight on it today, and it seems to be moving well.

She still doesn't want to eat, but she did take a few bites of cooked chicken.

So far, so good!  Sasha is one tough dog.

Thank you for your good wishes and happy healing thoughts.

11/2/2013 AM Update (post surgery)
from Foster mom
The resident called at 7:30 this morning to tell me that Sasha is doing great.  They help her up with a sling, and she walked better today than last night.  She is on methadone for pain, so I guess that means that in the future, she will beg me to do late night drug deals in dark alleys in Houston.  :-)

The resident also thinks that she will go home on Monday.  Rianne (the resident) said that she is still gracing Rianne with kisses and tail wags.

She's a good dog!

11/1/2013 later PM Update (surgery) from Foster mom
I just got off the phone with Sasha's vet, Dr. Saunders at Texas A&M's Veterinary School.  He said that Sasha's surgery was every bit as challenging as he expected, but there were three vet school faculty members in the room, and they were able to seat her ball implant into the new hip socket.  The surgery took between 5 and 6 hours. She is resting comfortably, and he expects to take the IV catheters out tomorrow.  

He said that her leg has been lengthened drastically all of a sudden, so her muscles have to adjust.  He said not to worry if she can't bend her ankle for a while.  Everything has to drop down and reset from the dislocation.

He thinks that she will probably go home on Monday.  If she surprises us, Sunday, but the more reasonable expectation is Monday.  He is pretty darn happy about the outcome of the surgery.  I could hear it in his voice.  He also said to let everyone on Facebook know that she is doing great.  :-)

Yay for Dr. Saunders, and yay for Sasha!

11/1/2013 PM Update (surgery) from Foster mom

Sasha is out of surgery and is breathing on her own. The tech did not know much, but he thought that the surgery was about 5 hours.

I'll find out more later, but he said that there were no complications.

11/1/2013 AM Update (surgery) from Foster mom
Sasha stayed at Texas A&M's small animal clinic on Wednesday, so I get twice daily calls from the resident who works with Sasha's orthopedist.  She called last night to say that Sasha is doing fine and has honored her with kisses.  Sasha's appetite is not good however, and they are concerned about how to get her to eat.  She even rejected cooked chicken.  I explained that Sasha is not terribly food-oriented, which makes her weight gain sort of inexplicable to me.  I think that she just grazes constantly, which means I"ll have to be very careful about picking up uneaten food.

Anyway, this morning, she will be sedated and shaved, and the dermatologist will go over her carefully to make sure that she does not have any lesions or a skin infection.  Her surgery will begin after that, and it will last for several hours.  These surgeries typical last 3 hours, but they can go as long as eight.  The vet indicated that he will not be surprised if hers is a long one.  Her hip is tricky.  The surgeons and assistants will be locked in the room for the duration of the surgery, and they will have to wear special suits.  This is one of the most sterile surgeries performed.

It will also be recorded, and since this is a teaching clinic, my impression is that there will be a lot of students watching it on a live feed.  Rianne the resident told me that there will be a crowd.

That's all my news for now.  She will call me again this morning, then again when the surgery starts, and then after it is over.  I'll keep everyone updated.

Send good healing thoughts to College Station, Texas.  Sasha needs all the happy thoughts that she can get.

10/31/2013 Update (surgery)
from Foster mom
Tom left yesterday at 8:15 to get Sasha to College Station for her appointment at 10:00.  When I headed to College Station at 12:40, he was still there.  They had taken Sasha from him at 10:00 and told him that she needed to see several doctors and be sedated for x-rays, so it would be several hours before they would get back to him.

I was only five miles away when the vet tried to talk to him and give him all of the news, but they decided to wait for me, thank goodness.  I got there at about 1:50 or so, and we met with the vet and two residents. The vet is ridiculously nice and thorough.  We went over all of the options for her dislocated hip, and he showed us the x-ray.  Her hip is not just kind of dislocated; it's very dislocated.  The ball is centimeters above the socket.  My impression is that the angle puts the leg coming out of her back.  The ball is just sitting in soft tissue, muscle and tendons and whatnot.  

The options are a total hip replacement, which involved creating a new socket and a new ball.  It will be a tough surgery, very tough.  So tough that he has to think and research and consult with others today.  He was not comfortable doing the surgery today. He will have to try to force the leg bone down and back into the original socket spot, where it has not been for some time.  The whole thing is hairy, but the vet is confident.

The other option is an FHO—, which is cheaper and easier, but she will have some pain and a funny gait for the rest of her life.  

Before I decided what to do, I asked about the other hip.  I also learned about a complete misconception that I had, but to be fair, I had called the clinic and asked specific questions and was given wrong information.  In fact, my original vet was correct.  It costs $3700 per hip for a total hip replacement.  The word "total" refers to replacing the socket and ball of one hip, not both hips.  That was what I asked when I called, but the girl who answered the phone was clueless and told me that yes, it was $3700 for both hips.  So the information that I gleefully reported was utterly wrong.  
Anyway, because the second hip wouldn't be done for about 12 weeks, we have time to do a few things that may make doing the arthritic hip not necessary.  She needs to lose weight, which means that I have to get serious about restricting her intake.  This will be easier with her in a crate for the next three months.  We can also treat her with glucosamine.  If she is a happier, friskier dog after the first surgery and seems to be doing well with other kinds of treatment, surgery is not necessary.  It's our call.

He also said that some people plan to do the THR on one side and the FHO on the other, mainly because the idea of spending $7400-8000 on hips makes some people (or almost everyone) squirm uncomfortably.  He then said that they are usually so happy with the results of one hip that they come back for the THR on the other side later.  I'm not committing to anything!

Anyway, her recovery is going to be horrendous.  For me, I mean.  :-)  She will be in a crate for three months.  She can only do potty breaks for one month, I think.  Then she can go on very short walks twice a day, and then we work up to two twenty minute walks per day.  

He also spoke to me about the kind of person who can adopt her.  (Yes, he's very thorough.)  She will always be at risk for problems.  There are no guarantees.  There person who becomes her forever person has to have the emotional and financial wherewithal to take care of her if something goes wrong.

I committed to the total hip replacement for the dislocated hip.  Obviously, we have to start there.  I called Jan and Linda, and the deposit was made.  She stayed there.  They are running a urinalysis and skin tests on her.  If she has any skin infections, any skin weirdness, or an infection of any kind, the surgery gets postponed.  I was told that this is the more sterile surgery that they do.  Everyone is locked in the room until it is over, and that can be from three to eight hours.  I asked Brianne how they pee, and she said, "We don't."  They also wear complete head to toe suits with masks, sort of like haz mat suits.  Infection is a big concern, so they take many precautions.  That's why she will see a dermatologist who will pick through her fur looking for any strange skin happenings  She has to be in top top shape for the surgery to happen.

The reason why the appointment had to be yesterday or February is because this doctor, the only hip guy, goes off rotation for three months.  I told him that I was kind of annoyed to be told that the appointment had to happen yesterday or February, and he told me to tell his boss to hire another ortho person, and then he laughed.  He said that he probably would have been called in if she had come in while he was off rotation.

They let me see her  before I left.  She peed when she saw me.  I'm going to say that means she was happy to see me and hoped I would take her away.  I assume that she was still a bit dopey from being sedated.  She was very tail waggy and loving.  Brianne stayed with us, and I loved her Sasha for about 15 minutes before I headed to class.

I pick her up on Monday.  

I have a lot of confidence in the vet and the residents.  He was honest about the risks, which stressed me out, but that's life, I guess.  Life is risk.  I wish I were wealthy, and then the money part wouldn't be part of the stress.  I don't like making decisions with other people's money.  Anyway, I'm going to get daily updates, which I will pass on.


10/13/2013 update

Sasha is in pain today.  She is having a hard time getting up, and she is obviously stiff and sore.  She is also grouchy and has no patience with the puppies or with Ishy.  She does not want dogs around her, and she is snarky about her food today, which is not typical.  Yesterday, Tom had to help her get up.  My guess is the dampness is affecting her.  It's been raining for two days and is very humid.   She is like Granny on The Beverly Hillbillies.  If she could drink moonshine and call it medicine for her rheumatism, she probably would, but instead, she is just grouchy.

I am looking forward to her improved health after her surgery.  Thank you to everyone who is thinking about Sasha and hoping for a positive outcome.  Her visit to the vet is on October 30th, and if she is approved for surgery, it will happen the next day.

10/5/2013 update

Sasha has an appointment at Texas A&M on October 30th to be evaluated for a total hip replacement.  If A&M thinks that she is a good candidate for the surgery, it will take place the next day on Halloween.  That was the earliest appointment I could get, and the next one was in February.  Obviously, I took the first one available.
This morning, the puppies and Sassy were horsing around, and Sasha got involved.  She actually frolicked for a bit before she lay down to continue the frolic from a reclining position.  It was very cute.  She also played with Sassy, who is an adult dog. This gives me hope that she will be a very happy, playful dog after she recovers from her surgery.  She wants to bounce around, but she just can't right now.
I gave her a bath this afternoon, a long overdue bath.  She was very patient.  This poor dog has been through the wars.  No ears, a broken tail, bad hips, a litter of pups, and a scar on her nose.  It's amazing that she doesn't want to bite every human she sees.  Instead, she is the most patient and calm dog ever.  Her fur is growing back as well, so she is looking quite large.
I'll keep everyone updated on her progress.  Pics are coming!

9/27/2013 update

I have news about Sasha, but it is not good.  Sasha limped a bit last week, but I thought that it was the result of playing and slipping in the kitchen.  However, an observant person I sent a  video to noticed that she had a stiff walk and was perhaps favoring one hind leg.  I took her to the vet today, and she was x-rayed under sedation.  The diagnosis is that one hip is out of its socket and has been so for a long time.  Dislocated hips cannot be put back into the socket after a certain number of days, and her hip has been out for a long time.  It definitely pre-dates my getting her.  Her other hip shows signs of arthritis, probably because she compensates with that side.  
The pronouncement is that she needs a double or total hip replacement.  I called Texas A&M's veterinary school and was told that the cost will be $3700.  My assumption is that it will cost a little bit more than that simply because medical care always costs more than the original estimate.
She is in a lot of pain right now and is very grouchy despite (or perhaps because of) the pain medication.  The doctor tried to put her hip back in its socket even though the vet was pretty sure it could not  be done.
The good news is that according to various vet schools websites, she will be a much happier pain-free dog provided the surgery goes well.  
I'm going to try to schedule her appointment at Texas A&M this week.  I'll post updates as soon as I get information.
This is a reality of rescue.  Our dogs have unknown pasts.  I guess I should not be surprised  that her hip was left dislocated.  Someone cut off her ears, and she has a small scar on her nose.  Who knows what has happened to her in her life.  I shudder to imagine it.

8/24/2013 update

Sasha went to the vet this morning. She weighed 93 pounds, so my scale and the digital scale at the vet's are very close. She got the last of her shots and was tested for heart worms. According to the shelter in Miami, she is heart worm negative, but I don't have that paperwork. I bought her a year's worth of heart worm preventative, and we are just waiting to get the r...esults of the test.

She was very good. There was a long line at the vet's office, and she casually sniffed the Min Pin and Shih Tzu in front of us and the kitten behind us. She took naps when things got boring. She is not overly interested in other dogs. She was very content to keep our place in line and just observe what was going on around us. She never gets flustered about anything. I think that a lot of people were jealous of how good she was because their dogs were in various states of panic. She just stuck close to me and leaned in on occasion. If leaning were a sign of Leonberger-ness, I would say that she is definitely Leonberger. I listed her as a Leo/Catahoula Hound mix because of her stripes.

The vet assistant thinks that she is two. Her teeth are tartar-free. I think that she seems more mature than two, but her teeth indicate that she is a young dog.

Her tail has been broken. She has a weird curl at the end of it that reveals damage at one time. It may have been slammed in a door.

Her lungs and heart sound perfectly fine.

The vet assistant and I discussed the possibility that she may have been used as a bait dog. She definitely has been through the wars. She has a pink scar on her nose, she is missing her ears, and she has tail damage. She had puppies about three months ago or so. He said that he has seen bait dogs that were super relaxed and very good with people, which is weird. I think that Houston probably has a big pit fighting community, and I'm sure that Miami does, too. At any rate, she has seen her share of hard times, but she loves people.

I think that she would do fine in almost any home. She is great with my dogs, and she is good with kids. She is fine with cats. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she is fine with goats, rabbits, and chickens. Ideally, I would like to see her go into a home in which she can bond with her owner and gets lots of quiet attention. She is a very laid back dog who would love to hang out and watch tv at her owner's feet. She is not active at this time although that could be because a.) this is Texas in August, and 2.) she is recovering from Pneumonia. She is not super playful. When she frolicked and gamboled for about 5 seconds the other day, I was pleasantly surprised.

I am not in a hurry to place her if the home is not perfect. If anyone wants their application considered for Sasha, please let me know. Otherwise, I will just start going through apps and try to figure out who might be interested. She is definitely not the dog for the rescue purist. She will hit 100 pounds, which is on the small side but in Leo range, but she is a striped brindle Leo mix of some kind. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

8/4/2013 photo updates

8/2/2013 After bath and getting some rays


Foster Day One Report 7/31/2013 : She was in a crate in the back of transporter's minivan. She was shaved down prior to transport.  When she got out, I could see that she was horribly thin.  She had a slight discharge from her nose.  She did not really make eye contact or wag her tail, but she showed no signs of fear or aggression.  I guess the best way to describe it is that she seemed a bit checked out.  I don't blame her.   I noticed that her ears were missing. (have been cut off)  It is more obvious now that she is shaved because the long hairs that normal grow around the ears are now trimmed, and it is clear that she does not have much ear flap at all.  One inch or so on one side and less on the other.  What she has does rotate and orient to sound, but there just isn't much there.

She had no collar, she got into my car with no fuss.  She has ridden in a car before.  

She stayed on the backseat the whole way back.  It poured rain, and I talked to her.  She watched me and looked out the window.  At some point, she turned around in the seat, so I stopped to walk her.  I was very nervous about her needing to potty.  She was not interested in the grass, and instead she wanted to go to a parking lot.  I couldn't figure out why until she walked to a puddle and started lapping at it.  She was very thirsty.  I gave her two bottles of water, and she drank it all.  At that point, I became even more nervous about her needing to potty, but she wasn't interested in that.

She chuffed a few times on the drive but never an outright cough.  She had one or two strings of drool, but it wasn't serious.  She was watchful but not tense.  She's too weak to sustain tension, I think, and I think that she is probably a calm dog anyway

On the way, I called the vet's office and got an appointment for 4:45.  

She weighed in at 75 pounds, but I weighed her again later, and she was 77-78.

The vet tech palpated her throat, and she coughed several times.  She said that is it classic kennel cough.  The vet is worried about canine flu or pneumonia.  Her breathing sounds bad.  You can hear fluid or phlegm or something.  The vet wanted to do an x-ray, but the machine broke, and the IT department in California could not get it fixed.  They will call me when it is fixed.  

I returned to the vet's office to get Layka/Sasha (her name is Sasha on the chart because I had settled on that originally.  She has a strange sort of graceful beauty that emanates from her eyes, and Sasha fits.)  She was lying down in the x-ray room, so I sat on the floor with her and watched while the tech followed the instructions of the IT guy on speakerphone.  She said that it was a Hail Mary pass, but alas, no dice.  No x-ray today.  The vet came in and gave the dog a pill.  The vet had to push it down her throat, but that went well.

The vet also checked her incision, and she said that it looks good.  Sasha probably had puppies a couple of months ago, judging by her nipples.

The good:  Super sweet, leans on me (she leaned on me several times, and my heart melted.),  walks well on a leash, has nice manners.   I don't know about sit and down and all that, and I just don't think it would be fair to ask her to do anything right now.  Heart worm negative, spayed, vaccinated.

The bad:  Possible pneumonia, super skinny.  Her hipbones are like doorknobs as are her butt bones.

(shaved down to grow new glorious coat)

7/30/2013 in transit

Layka showed up at Miami Dade Animal Shelter as a stray.
Identified as a LeonbergerXShepherd mix but has a Leo coat.

She has had at least 2 litters and is estimated to be about 3 years old. She did well with other dogs in the shelter.She is very well behaved and gentle.

Her kind rescuer Sarah placed an adoption hold and rescue hold as back up to be sure that she would be safe and not go with an adopter off the street. She was spayed on Saturday, picked up from Vet on Sunday and in transit to foster on Tuesday. Currently on antibiotics for URI.


Home About Leos Be A Pal Shop/Donate Library